VIC Got caught shoplifting in shopping centre, what's next

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam77

26 July 2017
Hi, got caught on shoplifting in one of the shopping centre on Tuesday, was with my wife and 15 months old baby, security stopped us and ask us to come with them, then they took all the items from us and said that worth of $500 n they called cops aswell, when cops arrived they took our identity and phone numbers and said because ur with baby go home now, and said they gonna arrange a interview in police station and arrest us, still waiting for call we did this stupid mistake and need help what gonna happen next, we dont have any criminal history before, do we need a lawyer at this stage, is there gonna be jail for us. We r so worried for our baby pl. help us with suggestions. Thanks

Sam77

26 July 2017
Thanks for quick reply tony, can u please help a bit further as it's already been 6 days and we r really scared, we haven't heard anything from police, after howmany days they normally call for a interview and can they come to my house to arrest us and whats gonna happen in interview and how long we have to be in police station i m worried because my little baby is just 15 months and she is new to childcare and she can only stay there for maximum 3 hours
I contacted one lawyer but they said when u receive a call from police then book a appointment with lawyer