QLD Minor Caught Shoplifting - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

taliah

26 June 2018
Today, I got caught shoplifting a $10 shirt. I'm not sure why I did. I've never shoplifted in my entire life, or done anything else illegal. I gave the shirt back straight away without hesitation and the woman working took a photo of my drivers licence.

She said that she was going to give it to the cops and that they will deal with it. I then left the store and went home. I currently am not living where my drivers licence says I'm living also but I changed it to my current address as soon as I could.

I turned 17 this year. I highly regret my actions and I am also very worried because my family does not have a lot of money and cannot possibly afford a large fine.

Will I be given a large fine, jail time, etc.? What should I do? I'm going to call Youth Legal Aid tomorrow.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
Too many unknowns...
Did you tell them why the shirt is on you? If you have admitted to stealing then you’ll have to hope they didn’t record this.
Imagine if the cameras saw all of what you did, what will it look like? Just forgetting to pay or that you are trying to hide the shirt from the store and then steal it? If it is the latter then you’ll have to wait for the police to contact you if the woman reported you.
If it was the first case, then maybe you can ask some lawyers about what crime would one constitute if one forgets to pay. (Refer to my signage, don’t do anything crimminal, just something to get you thinking)

In any case, don’t act too quickly, you don’t even know if she reported you yet. Better not report yourself sooner than that woman.

MartyK

4 June 2016
EROI = electronic recording of interview

Clancy

6 April 2016
There are a few facts that are unclear?
1) How exactly were you confronted and detained for shoplifting? What 'exactly' did they do?
2) Are there any in store cameras?
3) Were you made aware of being recorded? (If at all you were recorded?)
4) Did you sign anything?

taliah

26 June 2018
There are a few facts that are unclear?
1) How exactly were you confronted and detained for shoplifting? What 'exactly' did they do?
2) Are there any in store cameras?
3) Were you made aware of being recorded? (If at all you were recorded?)
4) Did you sign anything?

the worker came up to me and said she knew i stole something and made me lift my shirt up I went to the changing room and took it off and gave it to her,, I'm not sure if there were any cameras and when she took a photo of my license I just left because I didn't know if I was meant to stay which she probably wanted me too but i was in the middle of one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had and she didn't say to stay so I left so no I did not sign anything.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Had you left the store?

But regardless but answer remains the same. CPIU will eventually contact you AND your parents if she reported it. Agree to an interview, admit you did it and you'll get a caution assuming its your first time doing it and you have no violent previous offences.

Clancy

6 April 2016
the worker came up to me and said she knew i stole something and made me lift my shirt up I went to the changing room and took it off and gave it to her,, I'm not sure if there were any cameras and when she took a photo of my license I just left because I didn't know if I was meant to stay which she probably wanted me too but i was in the middle of one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had and she didn't say to stay so I left so no I did not sign anything.

"made you lift your shirt up"? What exactly does that mean?

I do not think society would want store workers thinking they have the right to undress minors!!!
Even with the good intention of uncovering shoplifting, otherwise you create a situation that could be exploited by perverts.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Even if the LPO doesn't have the right to ask someone to lift their shirt it won't change the outcome.

With that said it sounds like the OP put the stolen tshirt on then her shirt on over it. They simply asked her to lift the top layer. There is no criminality in that.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Even if the LPO doesn't have the right to ask someone to lift their shirt it won't change the outcome.

With that said it sounds like the OP put the stolen tshirt on then her shirt on over it. They simply asked her to lift the top layer. There is no criminality in that.

First sentence may not necessarily be correct, a counter claim of some kind based on the undressing may scare away the store pressing charges?

Second sentence, you have a way of making something that is fundamentally creepy and scary sound harmless. Its not good, I do not think you will find too many parents who would agree there can be ANY circumstances where strangers could be able to undress their children to any degree for any reason except a medical emergency.