SA Will Criminal Record Deny Tradesperson Entry to New Zealand?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharon bates

29 August 2016
I'm asking on behalf of a young man who is a friend to our kids. He's 23 now, and when he was 19 was charged and convicted with dealing in pills (not sure what drug exactly). He went to court and was placed on good behaviour, has served his community service and is now a qualified tradesperson who has put the past bad behaviour and mistakes behind him.

He has been told that while he can obtain a passport and travel overseas with his criminal record, he may not be allowed into the country when he gets there. He doesn't want to go to Bali or Thailand or anything, just New Zealand.

My question is, who can answer this question definitively? He doesn't want to risk getting there only to be sent home.

Reactions: Timnuts
S

Sophea

I understand that certain criminal convictions may prevent your entry into NZ. The best way to find out whether it would be an issue is to contact the embassy or high commission of NZ or NZ Immigration on: Phone: 1800-388-718 (Monday to Friday 07.00 – 17.00 AEST)