- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA Will Criminal Record Deny Tradesperson Entry to New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Sharon bates, 30 August 2016.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Sharon bates

Sharon bates Member

29 August 2016
    I'm asking on behalf of a young man who is a friend to our kids. He's 23 now, and when he was 19 was charged and convicted with dealing in pills (not sure what drug exactly). He went to court and was placed on good behaviour, has served his community service and is now a qualified tradesperson who has put the past bad behaviour and mistakes behind him.

He has been told that while he can obtain a passport and travel overseas with his criminal record, he may not be allowed into the country when he gets there. He doesn't want to go to Bali or Thailand or anything, just New Zealand.

My question is, who can answer this question definitively? He doesn't want to risk getting there only to be sent home.
    Timnuts likes this.
  2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

16 April 2014
    I understand that certain criminal convictions may prevent your entry into NZ. The best way to find out whether it would be an issue is to contact the embassy or high commission of NZ or NZ Immigration on: Phone: 1800-388-718 (Monday to Friday 07.00 – 17.00 AEST)