WA Can I travel back to Australia with criminal record

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeff123

3 October 2014
hello, my partner is New Zealand citizen. He lives in Australia since 1999 and has two children here.
He has a criminal record and has been in jail two times all up for around 24 months.

He hasn't left the country since those criminal convictions. One of those jail times is 9 years ago and the other one with 9 month jail is 4 years ago.

We would love to go back to New Zealand to visit his Familie but he is afraid Australia would not let him back in the country.

Any advise please

Thank u so much

sammy01

27 September 2015
go to this site and scroll down a bit
Removal and deportation - The Law Handbook

Look it would be really really stupid to go back to NZ because I said it is ok.... TRUE? you'd want something more concrete than that... I reckon it is gonna be ok, but you really need to investigate further. $500 to speak to a solicitor for an hour would be a good start. OR call immigration and ask BUT if it were me I'd want something very clear and definitive before going for a holiday for a few weeks only to find out the holiday is permanent.

Based on this story, they don't muck around.
Deportation of non citizens with criminal record