SA What Does Police Caution Mean?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sheep

11 February 2017
Hello all,

I had posted previously asking for suggestions on my best course of action regarding potential charges laid against me by the police in December of last year. The case revolved around my use of a stolen credit card for a transaction amounting to $32.40

I had been out drinking with an acquaintance and some of his friends, I was unaware that one of his friends had been using a stolen credit card to pay for drinks over the course of the day. While at one venue he had handed me the card under the pretence that he was shouting that particular round of drinks. After the owner of the card had filed to get his money back, the one piece of footage that the police had obtained was of course of me using the card.

I was entirely co-operative with the police. I'd said that I did recall using a card that was handed to me but I had no clue about the other transactions on the card. I had my own bank statements to back up my case and statements from other friends there on the day. The officer said that unfortunately it was still classified as receiving stolen goods but understood that I had no intent to commit theft. I was never arrested or formally charged. I should also add that I've never committed any offence before (whether criminal or traffic related).

Just the other day i received a phone call from the police station where the case was being undertaken to inform me that due to the minor nature of the offence that the course of action they chose to take was to issue a caution.

The officer i spoke to said that after our conversation was over, the matter was considered done with. I was happy to see the situation finally resolved, although i would have liked the opportunity to prove my innocence in court I understood their stand point. Due to my joy at the whole thing being wrapped up, i neglected to ask what the implications of this caution actually were.

I never went down to the police station or filled out any paperwork of any kind which leads me to believe, from what information I've been able to find, that it was considered to be an informal caution which would have no real bearing on my future at all.

However I've also read that a caution can, for all intents and purposes, be classified as a conviction which would have a significant negative impact on the rest of my life for obvious reasons.

Is anyone familiar with what the actual implications of this result? I was initially happy to just finally be done with all of this but that feeling of relief has made way for more stress after investigating this further. I'm hesitant to call the station up for more information in case that leads to me being put in more hot water

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Just the other day i received a phone call from the police station where the case was being undertaken to inform me that due to the minor nature of the offence that the course of action they chose to take was to issue a caution.

Good to hear nothing serious eventuated.

Sounds like an informal caution and should have no affect on your record.

Sheep

11 February 2017
Thanks for that Rod

Although it may have no affect on my criminal record, does it show up on my criminal history? I only ask because I'm trying to figure out what i can and can't do in the future now. Eg what travel opportunities are limited, what job opportunities/volunteering opportunities are now gone

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
It won't show up in a criminal record check.

There will likely be an entry in the police database though.

Sheep

11 February 2017
So my understanding of that is that this will only come back to haunt me if I get in any trouble with the police again but for all intents and purposes I can just forget this ever happened and move on with my life - having lost no access to anything that criminal history would otherwise bar you from

Is that the case?