VIC Warning for Harassment from Ex - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
You are becoming obsessed over nothing.

One of the traits they look for in Police is the ability to move on. Water off a ducks back. People think we are trained not to respond to provocation. You see it in the media all the time when a cop eventually looses it and punches someone in retaliation and the media and public go crazy claiming we are taught not to respond in such a way. Example: Spit on an officer, expect force in return: Police union chief. We're not trained to do it, our nature is that we generally have a higher threshold than your standard person on the street. That threshold is slowly increased because we become desensitised to it (the public doesn't realise that this desensitisation process has ramifications though).

You need to let it go. I don't even understand why you still care. Life is not fair. Nothing in life is fair. The fact the cop only sent you an email tells you he knows there is no criminality in it but he is warning you that she will make waves for you if you contact her again. Your reaction to this is a sign of your immaturity - she might be immature. But who gives a s**t. Let it go, let it go.

kych

6 August 2018
I understand what you're saying, however I am allowed to be angry expecially when her friends are slandering me via multiple social media sites making false allegations. Saying to move on is all well and good. I want to be able to react correctly through the law.

I help to run multiple online communities so the ramifications of this from a business standpoint could hurt my position, so my other question is if I'm being stalked and attacked via social media how should I proceed?

DMLegal

28 May 2018
You're looking at it with a view that the Police would be prejudiced to think that this is 'all your fault' and her story is gospel, which is probably not the case. I am sure a lot of Police Officers, male and female, have a 'crazy ex'...it happens, such is life. You do not have a case for defamation, at least prima facie, the detail so far is a bit vague so if you want a more accurate opinion explain what you mean by '...from a business standpoint could hurt my position...'. In any event, she, as the Complainant, has made a 'valid' complaint in so far as she has probably given a statement of what has happened, irrespective if it was true. The Police looked at that statement, and rather than press charges sent you an email (although I find this really unusual, Police usually send a letter). You can't sue her for making the Complaint and are very unlikely to succeed with any action re the social media posts. If you keep bringing it up with the Police, you only increase the amount of data on this issue and increase the likelihood it may reflect negatively on your character should you apply.