VIC Warning for Harassment from Ex - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kych

6 August 2018
Hey guys,

Hopefully this is the best place to post this. I got given a warning for harassment by my now ex-partner. It says if I continue to contact her in any way, it will be seen as harassment. Essentially we had issues with this girl when she was living down here for over a year (she ran away from home). I have a lot of family and friends who know that she was treated well and she struggled to hold a job when down here in Melbourne and had issues with the people employing her.

She filed the report from NSW, I am in VIC. We think that she may suffer from some type of mental disorder. My mother had major issues with her behavior when down here. I will note that she is 20, I am 31. I want to join the police and I'm not sure how this will affect my credibility. She has stated she has reported other guys to the police before so we think she might be a repeat offender or at least using the police to harass.

I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to fight this or if it's even worth fighting. I don't want something like this on my record. She was back and forth all the time on wanting a relationship, then not wanting the relationship.

I sent her an email after being unsure and thinking she had blocked me without a word, so the email was in relation to that and to find out if it was true or if she changed numbers. We got into an argument but nothing threatening was said, just "your typical behavior is unacceptable and how you treat people is poor". That is what I wrote to her.

The police sent me an email because they couldn't reach me by phone and she didn't have my number to give.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
If a person attacks you, then there is no way to reason with them. I have learned this the hard way. You need to defend your rights, talking to them to reason is a waste of time.

What you need to find out is what she meant (as examples provided to the authority) and then discredit them. Example: she said you followed her on this day at this hour, if you can prove you were somewhere with someone and have proof, that is all needed.

I am sure you will need couple of examples to discredit her, and try to be smart from now. You will be amazed what you can do. All you need to do is understand the problem which is 50% the solution of the problem and think...

kych

6 August 2018
Well, it only states to not message her via phone, email and other such devices. She doesn't have social media and she moved back to Sydney 6 months ago because she was going back to study so she states. Last couple of months have been mind games and now this. Block number, sure, but at least tell the person you're doing it and don't want to be contacted rather than not say anything. I've had no contact from the officer even though I asked him to call me back.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
It was a warning. Nothing official. It'll be recorded in whatever system they use as a form of "interaction".

They've warned you to stop. Listen to it. The officer doesn't need to call you - he's given you the information he needed to give you. Do not contact her. If she contacts you, then do not reply.

And no, you can not get anything like this removed from an internal Police DB.

kych

6 August 2018
It was a warning. Nothing official. It'll be recorded in whatever system they use as a form of "interaction".

They've warned you to stop. Listen to it. The officer doesn't need to call you - he's given you the information he needed to give you. DO NOT CONTACT HER. If she contacts you then DO NOT REPLY.

And no, you can not get anything like this removed from an internal Police DB.

Email states if I wanted to speak further, I could, so I asked. What annoys me is in the last email and previous texts she has stated she didn't want a relo but could be friends. So I say bye and don't message back. The next day she contacts me.

Apparently she's done this before and to more than one. We're all shocked and I feel like I'm the worst person in the world when I've barely done anything. Can I report her if she tries to contact?

kych

6 August 2018
Report her for what?

I would assume if she tried to contact it would be in breach of own warning and I could contact police to make them aware? Again as I want to move into police force I don't want to be affected by someone making a move over something minor.

It seems you can report for almost anything these days even when the other party has done little to nothing wrong.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
It's nothing official. They've literally just said to you "Hey mate, she doesn't want you to contact you so stop before it could get worse for yourself".

They haven't taken any Police action. Getting involved in some tit for tat s**t is going to make the Police look unfavourably on you should you apply. If she contacts you, ignore her. You're going to experience way worse behaviour than this if you make it in.

kych

6 August 2018
It's nothing official. They've literally just said to you "Hey mate, she doesn't want you to contact you so stop before it could get worse for yourself".

They haven't taken any Police action. Getting involved in some tit for tat s**t is going to make the Police look unfavourably on you should you apply. If she contacts you, ignore her. You're going to experience way worse behaviour than this if you make it in.

Sorry, what do you mean by make it in? Do you mean if I go forward or press charges on false allegations made? Sure it is a warning, but I still find it wrong and highly irrational/immature. I mean this is someones life, I am more worried about the other guys she has done this to (she has done this more then once). I just don't want her contacting me trying to make more of the situation then what it actually is when I am trying to move on. My family and I are very upset/disgusted.

sammy01

27 September 2015
just don't contact her and don't respond to any communication from her. Easy and keeps you outa trouble...