NSW Harassment and AVO against Ex -What will Happen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kristian

5 March 2015
Hi thanks for reading.

Long story short, I met someone a few months ago and the relationship started OK but when I saw some red flags, I tried to raise them e.g. extremely clingy to the point of calling and hundreds of times . This person would wait for me outside of work, she would make the way into my office building quite often invading my workspace at times, not to mention the massive amount of messages and the phone calls I would receive daily

It got to the point of where she was calling too much I got to the point where I tried to break of this relationship but she would never give up. When I had a chat to the police they recommended an AVO and charge her with harassment. I didn't want to get this far and I worry about her employment, her job and her residency status since she is from overseas. I hope what I had to do doesn't ruin her future but the police said at the end of the day, she did the wrong thing by continually calling me for weeks on end...

So my question, is what's going to happen to her?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, you can get an AVO without having her charged with harassment. A conviction for the stalking behaviour will pose a risk to her employment/job/residency, etc., but an AVO won't.

You can apply for an AVO yourself, rather than doing it through the police. More information here: Apprehended Violence Orders (Applicants) - Legal Aid NSW

Kristian

5 March 2015
Thank you. Unfortunately the calls have not stopped, the police have not had any luck with serving her the papers so likely she is avoiding them, wasn't home when they tried to get in touch with her, possibly thumbing her nose at the law. I believe the police have already explained to her what the process was from the moment I reported her behaviour. So I will just wait until a court date is set.. hopefully this works out for the better.

Do I need a Lawyer

21 January 2015
Hi Kristian,

Just be aware that once the police decide to take action then they will have control as to how the matter proceeds. You will become a witness and, in my experience, will have great difficulty in withdrawing your complaint if you are not happy with the consequences for her.

Regards

Kristian

5 March 2015
Thank you I'm not worried anymore about what will happen to her because the law is the law and she has done the wrong thing...

Kristian

5 March 2015
update: She was interviewed by the police and admitted to everything however she doesn't believe it is a criminal offense what she was doing. Seriously? Anyway I will have to go to court and see the outcome. At the end of the day she broke the law so she has to endure the consequences.