NSW Call from Police regarding harassment allegation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Justinian

28 May 2018
Hi,

I recently received a phone call from my police stations local DVLO telling me that my former best friend had made a complaint about me harassing her. The reason for this complaint was a message I sent after being blocked on everything following her allowing a 'friend' she was romantically interested in to abuse me using her phone and social media, this same 'friend' that she allowed to do this has a history with me since high school of general mutual dislike (we're now in our twenties). My message to her had no abuse, nothing creepy, and no threats, it said I was done with all of the emotional turmoil and I couldn't continue with our friendship, and provided closure on a few things (she has regularly re-initiated contact with me after we have gone our separate ways whenever there was a disagreement or one of us wronged the other, I thought I was pre-empting that with a polite farewell message which I guess would have been a letter in the days before technology). I also have never threatened her or harassed her in the past, there is no history of anything. The police officer simply warned me to have no further contact with her and explained what an AVO would do etc. (typical scare/warning call from what I can gather).

I specifically asked the police officer what the purpose of the call was and if this allegation/complaint/whatever had been recorded anywhere or if it would work against me if I ever had a criminal history background check or any kind of vetting done for future employment. He said it hadn't been recorded anywhere other than in his police notebook and so long as there was no future communication the matter would be left at that. I asked what would happen if she attempted to re-initiate communication, contacted me, or approached me, and he brushed this off simply saying she wouldn't do that and that if I respond to any of it I would probably have an AVO taken against me. I was baffled by this, because it seems to me like this is a situation where I have to allow her to do and say whatever she wants with no repercussions because of this ridiculous accusation.

A few days later the former best friend in question turns up at my place with the guy she let abuse me on her social media and vandalises my front garden, tearing things out and leaving crap all over the front lawn/driveway. They yell out abuse and subsequently drive off. I only notice it is them because I see the car speeding off (know the car & numberplate) and recognised the voices. They again came past my house yelling out abuse the following night. I've also heard she is posting and spreading malicious, slanderous, accusations about myself and an older family member who is a former police officer and currently works for CSNSW.

I've previously been to university and am currently studying a UCWE (required before applying for the NSW Police). The former best friend knew this, was aware of what I was studying and my plans, and from what I have been able to gather from mutual friends (hearsay I guess) is that this was an intentional act to sabotage any future I have anywhere in the criminal justice system and particularly with Police, since even having an allegation against you in COPS makes you ineligible to join as per the recruitment website (any 'adverse attention' from police disqualifies your application), and was part of some kind of revenge plot for me permanently ending our friendship and not tolerating the abuse from the fella she's trying to get with.

I have a few questions. What can I do about this? Are police able to take any action against them? I don't particularly want things to escalate but I also don't want this to continue. I don't really know where I stand, I fear messaging any of the people involved or any mutual friends as someone would in a normal situation because of the complaint/allegation. I'm also pretty sure this complaint/whatever has ruined any future I have working in the criminal justice system, whether it is CSNSW or NSWPF or whatever, because every interaction with police has to be recorded on COPS? Also was the police officer intentionally misleading me by saying the matter had been recorded no where other than in his notebook? Are police able to lie about this or was he simply not taking into consideration COPS? I know that this is a law forum and therefore only the questions directly regarding the legal situation can be answered, I'm just hoping that someone here has some kind of insight into the police system as well. Also is a warning on a phone call considered to be something akin to an AVO? He didn't call it a warning, or a caution, or anything of the like, just seemed like a courtesy call, although his initial attitude made me wonder if she had made more serious allegations or had made it sound like it was more serious than a goodbye message. I'm thoroughly confused about all of this, any kind of advice or insight into where I stand would be welcome.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Seems like they have tried to get an AVO against you but have not been able to convince police, so the police have told them that they will call you and warn you and that has satisfied them.

If they have vandalized your property, police may be able to obtain CCTV footage showing them in the area at the time, but unless someone has actually been attacked, i do not think police will bother.

Nothing to stop you buying your own cameras... this technology can be very cheap these days.

Reactions: PosComs

PosComs

25 March 2021
Perth, WA
Seems like they have tried to get an AVO against you but have not been able to convince police, so the police have told them that they will call you and warn you and that has satisfied them.

If they have vandalized your property, police may be able to obtain CCTV footage showing them in the area at the time, but unless someone has actually been attacked, i do not think police will bother.

Nothing to stop you buying your own cameras... this technology can be very cheap these days.
You should go in and put a temporary protection order in from police is important but if you do get rejected, go online to your states e-court and do it online, download, print, get JP to sign application and then return to magistrate court - Clerk of Court will just stamp it and no doubt your annexures (attachments of evidence) will be true (not like what we are dealing with) but once they put their stamp of received etc .. off it goes to the wonderful world of the judicial system.. coppers will be requested to seek her out and hand them physically to her. When you are applying - they will ask you what conditions you want on the TPO? Go the lot - emotional, physical, financial, economical, pyschological - oh yeah and then put she cant be within 100m of property, 50m of you or anyone associated with you (family, partner, boss), place of employment and tell them you need an URGENT application and if you can get this in before 330pm the police will have it delivered in the 24hr period. Then it will be up to them to appeal within 28 days. But video her and friends if they create any disturbance or vandalism - there is another charge if on camera as destroying your garden WOW.. she has some hatred, so much effort on her behalf.
Then as you'd prob have legal aid if you meet the criteria (BROKE) Queensland Legal Aid | Helping Queenslanders with their legal problems