WA Volkswagen Timing Belt Issue - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Leigh Wilcox

27 February 2018
I’ve got an 07 Volkswagen GT 1.4L and just recently, the engine management light came on, and then last week while driving to work.

I took it to my local mechanic, as he is so much cheaper. He told me there was no compression, as it wasn’t starting or ticking over. He then goes on to tell me, that the TSI engine is renowned for the timing chain to fail.

I’ve look into other complaints and seeing that Volkswagen isn’t coming to the party. Has anybody had any success and had Volkswagen come to the party?

Clancy

6 April 2016
I am not clear on one thing? Did you 'drive' the car to the mechanic or had it towed to the mechanic?

I would be highly suspicious if i had just 'driven' my car to a mechanic and then suddenly hear there is no compression and it wasn't starting or ticking over.... But probably not withstanding that i owned a Volkswagen, in which case such an event would not surprise me at all because their just such a huge pile of crap as a vehicle brand in general. They used to be good, but then something changed, i do not know who what, where or why?

Leigh Wilcox

27 February 2018
I heard they are made in Mexico now. I was saving up to get an overdue service on my car, and about two weeks before hand, the engine management came on, also late last year, the oil pressure light started to come on. The mechanic I goto is pretty good, and I would trust him, over the dealership. My car has just clocked over 100000km also. Like you say, they were a great brand once, and the added features they have as normal is great also.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I heard they are made in Mexico now. I was saving up to get an overdue service on my car, and about two weeks before hand, the engine management came on, also late last year, the oil pressure light started to come on. The mechanic I goto is pretty good, and I would trust him, over the dealership. My car has just clocked over 100000km also. Like you say, they were a great brand once, and the added features they have as normal is great also.

But if the problem was the timing chain, i don't see the engine management system being able to detect that? The timing chain is a part of a vehicle that either works or douse not work, there is no in-between. In the old days you could hear a rattle if the timing chain was wearing out, but these days they are made of rubber, so you don't hear anything, there is no way of knowing it is wearing out besides guessing based on the mileage of the vehicle.... in your vehicle owner hand book it will tell you how much mileage before it is recommended to change the timing belt - check it out?