NSW Visitation hours / school

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Atticus

6 February 2019
She pretends to be sick on a regular and it's really obvious, also uses the same excuse every time. I explained this to his partner of which she shut it down saying that she looked ill
So the real problem here is not with dad or 'them' it's with your daughter avoiding school....Probably much better that you explore avenues to address the underlying issue wit that...

Just because you see a pattern of regular behaviour doesn't mean that is going to be the case EVERY time... 'They' made the right call

sammy01

27 September 2015
So still no thanks? still no apology?
So you explained it to the step mum? clearly after the fact... Step mum said the kid looked ill. None of us can say for sure whether or not the kid was sick OR if the kid was faking. But a grown up who was with the kid made the call. Maybe the kid was faking.... Maybe in this instance the did was under the weather, not bad enough for a dr's appointment but bad enough to stay home. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

So I thought I'd look into the family law provisions to see if anything other than the stuff I sent you might be of relevance.
Guess what I found. Apparently, there is something in the family law handbook, right at the back. 3 pages after the bit that says "and they all lived happily ever after". I've copied the link below.

misanderist - Google Search

sammy01

27 September 2015
Oh look I have a bit of time on my hands...

"I must say you are a jerk with how you go about things and come across as someone who feels the need to stick up for dad's alone. Not every dad out there is perfectly innocent and not every mum out there is evil. "
Again, I'm the only person here who has given you links to reliable sources to help you understand the hypothetical that you proposed. What if this keeps happening? I also suggested a polite response to the ex.
I have one more thought... If it were to continue - as in continue for months every time the kid went to dad's then you would be in a good position to consider refusing further access on welfare grounds for the kid. But get back to us in May next year IF the kid has missed every Monday after spending time with dad on the weekend. If that happens get back to us here. I for one would be happy to work with you via this site to help you get the necessary paperwork together for a contravention hearing so you don't have to blow $$$ on solicitors, no need to say thanks btw. U'm you're definitely a woman right? Just checking because I'm offering you my help... So tell me again about how I only stick up for dads?

Just for fun... I only stick up for dads alone?
Interim IVO - What are my options
Hmm - here is a thread where I've made some suggestions to a woman accused of dv and has an avo to deal with... So Nope I don't feel the need to only stick up for dads... So please please please stop with the silly stuff.

I agree not all dads are perfect and not all mums are evil. Don't remember saying anything to even hint at that sort of thing.. Infact I think I wrote about being an egalitarian.
I deserve a thank you for providing you with the most accurate information possible and for making common sense suggestions. I'm also owed an apology for the rude way you have communicated about me...

Christina91b

9 December 2019
Quite obviously my daughter wanting to stay home from school all the time is an issue in itself. I have expressed my concern to the other parents about this, at this stage I have my doubts that they could see it as an advantage to lengthen their weekends. And THAT is why I asked the question. I'm sick to death of reading your comments in regards to me big noting the situation, overexaggerating, etc. Have I gone directly to the parents and started an argument over it? No! I have mentioned MANY times that I am someone who AVOIDS conflict for the sake of my daughter. So much so, that I address my concerns to an online thread and in return get backlash and treated like I've done something wrong. Um, which is exactly? As far as they're concerned, I had no problem with what happened that day. And I DON'T have a current issue with it, I just know it will become a problem if it happens over and over. Okay?! Is that so hard to understand.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Just waiting for one of @sammy01 classic Star Wars references to bring this one home! Quite the read.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
I disagree with the last paragraph of Glasshalffull's post. I don't think dad needs to hear that you wern't happy with the decision. It kinda comes across like mummy knows best (you don't) I kinda like the rest of it (kinda). But given this was a one off. AND remember, dad didn't take the kid to Luna Park for the day NO. Infact dad didn't even spend any additional time with the kid as a result. This give reason for as all to think that was well intentioned it was not malice. But you do want some documentation - but without all the threats of court BS.

so a nice text message at the time would look like this.

Dear ex,

Sorry if i came across as upset about your decision to keep little (insert childs name) home from school on (insert date). It is my understanding that the orders stipulate that if the child isn't at school then the child should have been with me. I'd like to suggest that in the future if a similar situation occurs you call me and we make a suitable set of arrangements.
KIND REGARDS....

So maybe you will sleep better and your hair wont go grey if you just learn to relax a little here. Oh and you owe me an apology for accusing me of being sexist. I'm not pro dad or anti-mum. Just a bloke who has earned his grey hair from life experience and is trying to impart some of what he has learned... Now go make another cuppa camomile tea and read the thing again because respectfully I really do think you need to relax a little. OR DONT and risk dying before you time of a stress related illness.
Peace

Sammy, largely agree with you although I guess we're approaching it from different points of view... The main reason I suggested she speak to the ex and tell them what she thinks, is so that she can, down the track, at least claim that she has expressed her point of view to eliminate her worry that he might say "I didn't know you felt that way" or "But I did it before and you didn't say anything". As for whether she should write it in a much friendlier, concessionary tone is another story. I suppose it comes down to preference. Obviously the harsher approach might rile up her ex. I get that.

You do also seem to be making assumptions about the dad's intentions. It did sound like the dad's partner made the call to keep the daughter home, not the dad. Maybe you're right, maybe Chrinsta is right. We don't know the full story from either parent, obviously. But I do agree with you that the fundamental lesson of the day is... let it go. Keep letting it go until it becomes a serious issue.

Incidentally, a while back, I was ordered by court to attend a parenting orders course due to the inherent conflict in my dealings with my ex, and I met a mum that remind me a lot of Christina: Well intentioned, but a bit of a control freak, fundamentally believed her way was the right way and that the dad was crap and should do what she thought was best. She was really upset in one of our sessions because her ex's new partner had suggested the children could call her mum if they wanted. The biological mum in our course was fuming, saying "nobody else but me should be called mum, I'm her REAL mum, how dare they try to exclude me and minimise my role, I would never do that!" etc.. Then another guy in the group piped up with words to the effect of "Is it really such a big deal? My own kids calls me Pete (example, name changed to preserve anonymity)! Shouldn't the children be free to refer to all the important people in their lives however they want to? Ultimately your role in your child's life is dictated by far more than just a name. Let go of the things that don't matter. Be the best mother you can be to your children and the rest will follow". That probably advice applies here too.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Glasshalf full. Mate Yep no worries, slightly different perspectives on the problem but both with a well intentioned ending. As always you're advice here is awesome. I think the subtle differences in our advice are cool and invite the posters to consider different possibilities from which they can make up their own mind...
Jake - Oh alright Jake - Just so you're not getting up every few hours to check this site to see what I've done.
Christina - one of my greatest childhood crushes explained your inability to comprehend the well intentioned hour or two I've put into inviting you to understand that this really isn't that big a deal and wont become that big a deal and that maybe you should just suck this one up and take some advice from Princess Laia and realise that neither dad nor step mum did anything wrong... (and i kinda like that i've got a woman to explain it to you)

Christina I really don't know what far off distant galaxy you came from but if I hope you have a return ticket leaving soon.
Happy now Jake?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake Matherson