NSW Unpaid work - Realtor shielding the non paying parties

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bobjane

5 May 2021
Hello.

I'm a floor sander. I was hired by a handyman to do the floor sanding in a house he was renovating. I completed the job and invoiced the handyman. After this he disappeared - stopped answering emails/calls/phone messages.

I found and spoke to the realtor that manages the property and this is their story:
- The handyman is their regular contact and this job was brokered by the realtor.
- The renovation was completed but ran late and therefore the owner is refusing to pay the handyman.
I asked the realtor to:
1. Give me the handyman's business name, address and ABN from their previous invoices. They gave me a business name which doesn't seem to be registered (I couldn't find a good match using the ABN lookup).
2. Give me the property owner contact information or alternatively pass my information to the owner so we can discuss the matter. After all they're received the benefit of my work and my part was completed on time.
The realtor refused to give me any other information.

I have since found the handyman's address and I messaged him with it and also sent a physical letter of demand. This got me a reply saying he will pay within a week. I sent another message after the week and he replied to say he's just made the transfer, again no payment. The letter of demand remains uncollected at the post office.
I have been told (I don't know if the source is reliable) that even with his personal address I won't be able to bring him to court. That I need a business name and business address.

Advice please. How do I pursue the handyman and also am I able to go after the realtor? Thank you.