QLD Traffic Law - Should Person with Injuries be Allowed to Drive?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mashika

20 October 2015
I was wondering if a person who can't shoulder check to reverse a car due to injuries, should they be allowed to drive under Traffic Law? Since this person can't turn their head to look back and reverse a car means they can run a child or animal over? This also means the person can't turn their head to check for traffic to change lanes while driving. This person is putting other people's safety at risk by driving blindly.

In driving test it is considered as critical driving error. Shouldn't this persons drivers licence be revoked before this person kills someone while driving?

S

Sophea

Hi Mashika,

I know that when people have certain injuries, such as an arm or shoulder injury that prevents them from diving normally and with full capacity they are told by their doctor not to drive. If they do so, they can void their insurance. I'm not sure whether it is an offence though.

Here is some info on NSW's position on what it considers to be acceptable minor disabilities that you can drive with and major ones that would prevent you from driving. Assessing Fitness to Drive - Austroads