VIC Son Caught Driving on Suspended Drivers Licence - Traffic Law Penalties?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

M.G.M

11 September 2014
Hi, i was wondering if someone could give my some information, as im stressing. My 20year old son has been caught driving 3 times within 4 moths on a suspended drivers licence. What are the Traffic Law penalties in Victoria? He doesn't have a criminal record and his never been to court before?

Thank you

S

Sophea

Hi M.G.M,

The penalties for driving on a suspended licence are:

• fine of up to 30 penalty units (each penalty unit is around $150) for a first offence of driving while suspended
  • fine of up to 240 penalty units if you have been found guilty of driving while suspended before.
Your licence suspension period can also be extended. Or a Magistrate can cancel your licence or permit for a certain period of time or make a court order stopping you from applying for a licence or permit for a certain amount of time.

Or instead of giving you a fine a court can send you to jail for 4 months for a first offence or 2 years for a second offence or more.

M.G.M

11 September 2014
hi Sophea,
thank you for your reply. My son had his court case 2 weeks ago. He got a $1000.00 fine and his licence suspended for a month.. i think he got off lightly... but he has learnt his lesson ... he's now back on his push bike...