Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Son Caught Driving on Suspended Drivers Licence - Traffic Law Penalties?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by M.G.M, 5 October 2015.

1. M.G.M

M.G.M Active Member

Hi, i was wondering if someone could give my some information, as im stressing. My 20yr old son has been caught driving 3 times within 4 moths on a suspended drivers licence. What are the Traffic Law penalties in Victoria? He doesn't have a criminal record and his never been to court before?

Thank you

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi M.G.M,

The penalties for driving on a suspended licence are:

• fine of up to 30 penalty units (each penalty unit is around $150) for a first offence of driving while suspended
    • fine of up to 240 penalty units if you have been found guilty of driving while suspended before.
    Your licence suspension period can also be extended. Or a Magistrate can cancel your licence or permit for a certain period of time or make a court order stopping you from applying for a licence or permit for a certain amount of time.

Or instead of giving you a fine a court can send you to jail for 4 months for a first offence or 2 years for a second offence or more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M.G.M

M.G.M Active Member

hi Sophea,
    thank you for your reply. My son had his court case 2 weeks ago. He got a $1000.00 fine and his licence suspended for a month.. i think he got off lightly... but he has learnt his lesson ... he's now back on his push bike...