QLD Tracking via IPad

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TJSmithson

6 June 2021
I am currently employed by a council in QLD & we have been issued IPad air (4th). We use these to record asset details & work emails etc.
We take these home with us daily & use them when we are 'on-call' to remotely monitor assets (essential sevices).
We have now been told that a particualr department( NOT SAFETY) wants to use the IPads to track our movements.
Can they legally do this? While at work but also while we are at home.
The excuse given so far by the particular department is "Value for money for the ratepayers". The average salary of an employe in that particular department is well into the 6 figures, while myself & other employees are well below 1/2 of that salary.
Thankyou
TJ Smithson (sorry not my real name)

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What is the reason given?

Not likely to be a reasonable request if they are monitoring you outside of work hours.

TJSmithson

6 June 2021
The reason (excuse) is "Value for money for the ratepayers".
Which I am having trouble understanding because for every $50 I am paid there is at least $500 watching (monitoring) me. This also applies to the other employees in my dept.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd be writing back saying monitoring at home is unwarranted. And that after hours tracking data should be deleted after 7 days.

Though I'm unclear if they are tracking the iPad to monitor its location in case it is stolen, or you.

This is where unions should assist.