NT To pay or not a speeding fine with errors

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Josis

16 October 2019
Hello,

The other day I was driving 124km/h in a 110 zone, I got stopped by police and I got a fine of 190$. I have a foreign driving licence and I have got two last names, so when I checked the fine I found some errors. Instead of writing my first name, the policeman wrote my first last name, and then my second last name as surname. Also the address and email are incorrect.

But the driving licence number is correct and the registration number from the car, the car is a rental car under my friend's name but with me as extra driver.
So I would like to know what consequences could I have if I don't pay it. I will be in Australia for the next 2 years and I'm planning to get a car, so if I pay it I will get a demerit point so the insurance for the car might be more expensive because of that, plus I work with cars so I don't want it to affect my future job applications or visa extensions. I don't have my driving license register anywhere (apart from my work) and as far as I know it is not connected to my passport number, which is the document I used to apply for my visa or open bank account. I hope you can help me decide what is the best for me to do. Thank you.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I hope you can help me decide what is the best for me to do. Thank you.

You were speeding, you got caught. Pay the fine, cop the demerit points & learn from the experience.... The alternative... Stress about it, eventually get tracked down anyway. Have a much bigger fine & the consequences that may flow from trying to avoid paying a fine... There is only one sensible choice. If you can't afford the $190, which BTW is a lot lower than if you had been caught in South Australia for example, then you can apply to pay it off in installments..

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hello,

The other day I was driving 124km/h in a 110 zone, I got stopped by police and I got a fine of 190$. I have a foreign driving licence and I have got two last names, so when I checked the fine I found some errors. Instead of writing my first name, the policeman wrote my first last name, and then my second last name as surname. Also the address and email are incorrect.

But the driving licence number is correct and the registration number from the car, the car is a rental car under my friend's name but with me as extra driver.
So I would like to know what consequences could I have if I don't pay it. I will be in Australia for the next 2 years and I'm planning to get a car, so if I pay it I will get a demerit point so the insurance for the car might be more expensive because of that, plus I work with cars so I don't want it to affect my future job applications or visa extensions. I don't have my driving license register anywhere (apart from my work) and as far as I know it is not connected to my passport number, which is the document I used to apply for my visa or open bank account. I hope you can help me decide what is the best for me to do. Thank you.
Speaking as a lawyer:
Keep your nose clean. Pay the fine and move on.

sammy01

27 September 2015
pay the fine... The pedal on the left in Australia is the brake.... Respect Australian law or go back to you're country.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Let's be clear about one other thing.

Just because a constable doesn't get a complex set of surnames strictly literally correct,
does not invalidate the infringement.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
pay the fine... The pedal on the left in Australia is the brake.... Respect Australian law or go back to you're country.
Sammy01, FYI : the pedal on the left is the brake in all cars (left hand side or right hand side), I drive both, even the stick shift is in the same order, they are not reversed.
In Australia (right hand side), in the stick shift the first gear is further to the driver, while in other countries (left hand side) the first gear is nearest to the driver.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
......the pedal on the left is the brake in all cars...
Not all cars.
Only in automatics.
In a conventional right hand drive manual, the left most pedal is the clutch.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Good catch - I haven't driven a manual in so long I didn't even think of that.
I guess floor mounted high beam switches are next on the list - not a pedal, but foot operated all the same! :D

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Was wondering when someone was gonna bring that up. :confused:

I used to think that the system was reversed in Australia (all right hand side vehicles, and before coming to Australia), so I think my comment would give some clarification. No commenting on Samm
Not all cars.
Only in automatics.
In a conventional right hand drive manual, the left most pedal is the clutch.
This time you are right, It has been a long time since I drove a manual and I guess by now it is nature how we use them that I don't think about what I press on, comes by nature.