Time to Process Spouse Visa from USA for Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KatelynM

23 August 2014
I have a similar story to "Time to process Spouse Visa from Pakistan for Australia?".

I am American and just applied for the off-shore de facto spouse visa to be with my Australian boyfriend. The advice that we were given was that the processing time was 5-6 months. Are you a low risk or high risk country? Just hoping that we don't have to wait 12 months, as I am a low risk application. Ours was just put in in June! Should I expect our visa to be granted much later than December?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi KatelyneM,

According to the DIAC website, for an applicant from a low risk country (countries with Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) eligible passports), the expected processing time is 6 months (in country) or roughly 5 months (applying outside of Australia). This time can vary depending on the number of applicants and the workload of the department, as well as your individual application. However, it should not take 12 months.

I suggest calling the department, or trace your application tracking number, should you not receive any response after 5-6 months.

If you are applying in Australia, you should receive a bridging visa that allows you to stay in Australia, within limited employment allowances, until your visa is processed.