QLD Termination of legal relationship with my solicitor

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Xena The Warrior Princess

3 June 2018
Cool your jets a minute, and consider the situation fully.
- There will be aspects of the file you are entitled to. Not every document on a file belongs to the client, such as internal memos and workings.
- Regarding the property transfer: (a) if it is a different file then you may not have actually requested it, and/or (b) there are some documents the solicitor must retain which do not belong to you - such as the transfer duty records (which the solicitor actually holds for the Office of State Revenue).
- They’re not acting on your behalf from the sounds of it. They do have to tell your ex that they’re no longer acting on your behalf. Normally that would also involve informing him of how to contact you to further the court action. I don’t know how that works with the DVO in place. However, it would be an abuse of process not to allow for a method for your ex to be able to properly serve documents or correspond in the case.
- 7 days to get you the file doesn’t seem too unrealistic, unless there is some matter of urgency. The file will need to be collated, checked by the solicitor, transferred into digital format for whatever is in paper, and delivered.
I am still waiting for my file, even though I paid it in full almost 2 months ago. I am so confused about what is right and what is wrong anymore in this country.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
... As opposed to other countries? 2 months does sound pretty unreasonable though. Have you considered making a complaint to the appropriate authority (seems to be the Legal Services Commission in QLD)?