NSW Suspicious travel and risk of harm with mental illness

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Philly2020

27 April 2018
My brother is 30 years old and has been a diagnosed schizophrenic since age 16. He has been on anti psychotics since his diagnosis, which is half of his life. He at times semi-functions to a normal degree, but most often he relies on my mother. He has had many psychotic episodes that result in him receiving treatment in a psychiatric ward.

My brother has recently gone 'missing'. He has left the family home and has not made contact with family. We have been noticed by the police that he willingly took himself into a police station at kings cross and told them that he was fine and that he was not 'missing' and if anyone raised concern to tell them he had gone to queensland.
My mother is beside herself with worry. She has since recovered a bag of his belongings from a friends house which also contained all of his medication.

My mother has also been told by one of my brothers friends that he has contacted them and told them that he is in queensland and he is waiting for his 'sponsor/ to put the money in in bank for his flight to Morocco.

This is very concerning for his family. We all have grave concern for his well being. He is very naive and trusting and we are worried that he has become involved with people who want to use his for either a drug mule or some kind of violent/radical behaviour.

He does have a passport.

What can we do? Who can we contact? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
My brother is 30 years old and has been a diagnosed schizophrenic since age 16. He has been on anti psychotics since his diagnosis, which is half of his life. He at times semi-functions to a normal degree, but most often he relies on my mother. He has had many psychotic episodes that result in him receiving treatment in a psychiatric ward.

My brother has recently gone 'missing'. He has left the family home and has not made contact with family. We have been noticed by the police that he willingly took himself into a police station at kings cross and told them that he was fine and that he was not 'missing' and if anyone raised concern to tell them he had gone to queensland.
My mother is beside herself with worry. She has since recovered a bag of his belongings from a friends house which also contained all of his medication.

My mother has also been told by one of my brothers friends that he has contacted them and told them that he is in queensland and he is waiting for his 'sponsor/ to put the money in in bank for his flight to Morocco.

This is very concerning for his family. We all have grave concern for his well being. He is very naive and trusting and we are worried that he has become involved with people who want to use his for either a drug mule or some kind of violent/radical behaviour.

He does have a passport.

What can we do? Who can we contact? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I just read your post now (I noticed it was published on 18 March), go to the police and take with you any medical reports that will show his condition, furthermore, you can contact legal aid, they may know which organisations that may provide help for this, also, see the information in Centrelink, I am sure the information officer there will provide some input.

Good luck.