VIC Putting Father on Birth Certificate - Will it Affect His Visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Yesitsme23

8 November 2017
I'm pregnant at the moment and the father of my child has only been in Australia for 3 years. He came as an asylum seeker I think... I’m not sure about that though. He is married and has children in his country.

He is currently working on bringing his children to Australia and doesn’t want to be on the birth certificate for my child as he is concerned it will affect his ability to bring his children and wife to Australia, or will affect his visa? Will it?

We are not in a relationship, and I don’t want to risk his ability to bring his family here.

Clancy

6 April 2016
One possible simple solution might be to 'accidentally' spell the father's name wrong on the birth certificate, then sort it out later on after he got his kids here?

Are you planning on claiming child support? Are you planning on having the father be involved in the child's life? You may have no choice on that matter if the father decided he wanted to be involved at some point.

Yesitsme23

8 November 2017
Thank you for replying!

I didn’t think of that, I don’t want to claim child support, and he will be involved.

At my hospital appointments with the midwives and on hospital records I made the mistake of telling them the fathers name when asked, she spelt his first name wrong but last name correct, will this make it impossible for me to make a “mistake” on the birth certificate form? Are the hospital records and births deaths marriages forms measured up to each other?

Do you know if it will affect his chances of bringing his family? Another question I have is, if I don’t put his name on the birth certificate could I still give my child his last name?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thank you for replying!

I didn’t think of that, I don’t want to claim child support, and he will be involved.
At my hospital appointments with the midwives and on hospital records I made the mistake of telling them the fathers name when asked, she spelt his first name wrong but last name correct, will this make it impossible for me to make a “mistake” on the birth certificate form? Are the hospital records and births deaths marriages forms measured up to each other?
Do you know if it will affect his chances of bringing his family? Another question I have is, if I don’t put his name on the birth certificate could I still give my child his last name?

Well, ok the first name is already spelt wrong! - seems like problem solved! Just carry the same exact mistake over to the birth certificate. i highly doubt it will cause a problem for him, but mebe someone else here knows for sure?

You are entitled to change your mind on who you think the father is.... Although doing that would be highly embarrassing!!

I do not know the answers to your other questions?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thank you for answering me with what you could, Very helpful!

Hey no problem, hopefully someone else can give you more information.

Just relax, be happy, enjoy being pregnant (if that's possible! lol) and look forward to your baby coming, and don't stress about it,... oh dear, what am i saying, you have hormones, of course you will stress about all kinds of stuff!! :) :)

Reactions: Yesitsme23

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
One possible simple solution might be to 'accidentally' spell the father's name wrong on the birth certificate, then sort it out later on after he got his kids here?
Deliberately making a false statement to BDM?
You do know that that's an offence in Victoria?
This is foolish advice.