NSW Studying a degree with serious record? Is it worth it?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lawrence5789

8 October 2020
Hi all, Im a convicted criminal who has turned their life around, I was always going to uni but fell down the wrong path. My interests are architecture and surveying, however I've heard to be registered as either you need to be of fit and proper character. So questions are, my offences were serious indictable and I served my time for them I'm only young but my record cannot be expunged, so is it worth even trying to get a degree, to be knocked back on my record, this is something really distressing to me, as I know I f****d up but I've done my time I didn't know that they can't expunge my offences, sorry for the wording and great website guys,
Kind regards,

River83

20 May 2020
Unfortunately I have no idea. However, I do strongly believe you should give it a good go. I know someone who did armed robbery and their life is right on track and good things are coming to them. I would think, everyone knows people can, and do change. Everyone deserves the chance. I really hope this become possible for you. Great work on turning your life around.

Lawrence5789

8 October 2020
Unfortunately I have no idea. However, I do strongly believe you should give it a good go. I know someone who did armed robbery and their life is right on track and good things are coming to them. I would think, everyone knows people can, and do change. Everyone deserves the chance. I really hope this become possible for you. Great work on turning your life around.
Cheers man it ain't easy otherwise everyone would be doing it :)

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi all, Im a convicted criminal who has turned their life around, I was always going to uni but fell down the wrong path. My interests are architecture and surveying, however I've heard to be registered as either you need to be of fit and proper character. So questions are, my offences were serious indictable and I served my time for them I'm only young but my record cannot be expunged, so is it worth even trying to get a degree, to be knocked back on my record, this is something really distressing to me, as I know I f****d up but I've done my time I didn't know that they can't expunge my offences, sorry for the wording and great website guys,
I don't have knowledge about this and I am not a lawyer, but from common sense it would relate to what you were charged with, I think if you did theft and go apply for a bank that would not work, but if you got into a fight and hurt the other (charge with assault) and then apply for a bank, it might work. Best thing is to talk to a lawyer or the legal aid in your area,

Good luck

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check with the relevant professional organisation managing registrations.

Potential law students can request and be given an indication before studying and incurring a large HECS debt.