NSW can I get an expungement or pardon on police record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

VgrR589ihb

9 April 2018
I was charged by police back around 2000 for an offense that I pleaded guilty to in court because I couldn`t afford a lawyer and was too young and worried to not plead guilty, I thought if I pleaded not guilty they might see it as disrespectful and seek to jail me. (Worries of a young mind).

I went through 2 court cases and a police psychologist program over that year and was given a 1 year good behaviour bond and no conviction. The charge is still on my police file though.

I have received no other charges that being the only one. Over the years I have studied and built up my knowledge to apply for good jobs, but 4 years ago after going through 3 interviews and being successfully offered the job with a global company I got knocked back for that job after the police report was received by them.

Since that time I ended up working in hospitality as a kitchen hand and now a chef part time as I continue my study. I have been too fearful of applying to other companies and it has had a severe impact on my personal and social life. I am also worried about applying for jobs overseas which I would love to do, to work and travel as part of a professional career. I also have aspirations of starting my own company one day and even registering a company overseas.

I believe none of this is possible and I constantly deal with anxiety and mild depression over the issue. I feel trapped by something that I was charged for which does not reflect my personality or character or behaviours.

I recently met a lady from overseas whom I would like to marry, and found out I also need to do a police report to give to her should I marry her and as part of her visa process beyond that point. That really broke my spirit as well.

I feel trapped and suffocated by the issue and wish I could have this charge overturned or expunged/pardoned, I dont know the right term for it or how to go about applying for that. Any advice would be helpful.

Minko

15 January 2023
Hi there; I know it’s been some years since you posted this but I was wondering if you found any solutions? I’m currently in a very similar situation (my charge was recorded 9 years ago though) and I’m so sick of the same issues with applying for jobs etc.

Independentdownunder007

15 July 2022
Quite simply, if the cops have it in for you, you are ******?
That's the truth. According to a cop with no sense of balancing his or her ego. Instead of giving up on myself and surrounding to some egotistical copper. Don't get me wrong I have respect for them overall and I'd only fulfill my accountability. Yet when their profession is to differentiate a trouble maker to an abuser to a victim. The domestic violence training they receive is bogus, outdated, only like 2 days. While I have sit for 40 hours and speak about my feelings and s**t and come out, better or worse.. Soo. Find out

Independentdownunder007

15 July 2022
Lol my apologise. I wrote that with no intention towards calling out police officers. My intentions are to convey the message how hard police officers jobs are and how their careers involve tolerating ass€¥π÷ like me and many. We have a lot in common if only we could get along.

I do something about my persisted efforts to not make a scene.. But yet the scenes are yet to come when that ball lands in your court.

Marriages involving strange men giving advise to a woman with her own internal challenges.

Come and do that now.

That day I was an easy target.

This isn't over as I mentioned I am not even close to what is described by insane professionals.

Insanity is chasing and pinning the same story over and over expecting another result. The other result in this situation is why not do the same procedure to a calculated insensitive low life narcissistic woman who can't control her own emotions but can control others who are practically dying in front of her crazy psychos like her go under the radar and raise some crazy pieces of shits.. That may join the force. Dumb protects dumb. Duh!