VIC Criminal Record - Concerned about Future Employment

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 November 2017
Hi all,

Long story short:

The boyfriend and I were in a heated argument, which lasted approx 5 mins. At one point, he had his back to me and I was trying to turn him around and grabbed him by the arm, which he says scratched him. Following that, his car door was locked and I was asking him to unlock it and knocked on it.

He says I made (two barely noticeable) dints. He reported all this to the police last month when upset and now regrets it. As I was emotional that day too I stupidly told the police all that happened while in absolute tears. I’ve never been in trouble with the law about anything before so I didn’t realise I pretty much pleaded guilty as I admitted told them I grabbed him but didn’t mean to scratch him if I even did.

It all went to court and even though he asked them to drop charges as it was all unintentional on my part, they still went ahead and charged me with assault and damage to property (even though the car is also paid by me so technically my property) the judge could see it was an emotional day for me that day and it was a small petty heated argument, and with myself having no prior run in with the law offered a “no conviction recorded”.

I was advised by the lawyers there that this would not show on my criminal record as I was enrolled to begin a nursing career and midwifery course at Uni.

However after looking into all this I can now see that even no conviction recorded still shows on my record. Has anyone experienced this before? Can anything be done to remove this completely off my record? Will going back to Uni and studying something in the healthcare field be a waste of time with something like this on my record...

So stressed and depressed about this entire situation.

Thanks in advance.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Don't fret... It will not impact on your employment. I am a teacher and my ex took and avo out on me... I have to do criminal history checks for employment. Call the relevant union, as a nursing student they will probably advise you.

9 November 2017
Is it just an avo against you or charges also?

I’m under the impression you are correct, Avo’s don’t appear on criminal checks but all pleadings of guilt do.

Many thanks for you’re input!

don't fret... It will not impact on your employment. I am a teacher and my ex took and avo out on me... I have to do criminal history checks for employment. Call the relevant union, as a nursing student they will probably advise you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Look call the union. I had a mate who had 2 drink drive charges and that has not impacted on him.... So in teaching in NSW you pay to get a working with children check done... If anything flags the boss gets notified. For something to appear it had to be a serious offence. From memory a crime with a minimum 5 yr jail term and a conviction..

As a student you should be able to join the relevant union pretty cheaply... If you're really concerned they will be able to give you a definite answer