QLD SPER without warning

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam Clarke

12 July 2019
I have just received 2 SPER enforcement notices in regards to 2 infringements I received.
On the 26th of march I got a letter from a Snr Sgt (Officer in Charge) telling me "No action needs to be taken to pay the penalty asociated with these Notices, until you receive further advice".
And now all of a sudden SPER is giving me a Notice of Registeered Debt.
Can the QLD police do this?????
I have lodged a ethical standards complaint against the behaviour of the issuing officer (he was VERY aggressive and really wanted a physical confrontation) this complaint came to nothing, but the investigating officer did admit that the issuing officer was not operating his BWC.
Can the police issue a notice with no evidence from a BWC?

Atticus

6 February 2019
On the 26th of march I got a letter from a Snr Sgt (Officer in Charge) telling me "No action needs to be taken to pay the penalty asociated with these Notices, until you receive further advice".
And now all of a sudden SPER is giving me a Notice of Registeered Debt.
Can the QLD police do this?????
Have you spoken to the Snr Sgt about the SPER debt?... If not I would be doing that first... Possibly some mixup or failure of communication between depts

the issuing officer was not operating his BWC.
Can the police issue a notice with no evidence from a BWC?

Notices were always issued before police wore cameras... Don't see why not operating one at the time a notice is issued would invalidate it. More of an issue around accountability in certain circumstances if a complaint is made I would think..

You may find some guidelines on their use in the QLD police procedures manual most of which is available on line to the public I believe