VIC Son's long time shoplifting, chances of action being taken?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JC314

7 January 2018
My son (20+ years) has just confessed to me that he's been shoplifting from several stores at our local westfield. I had no idea about it until i caught him today, sneaking something into the fitting rooms and then putting it in his bag. Apparently, this has been going on from months. He's also told me he's done a lot of dodgy scanning at those self serve checkouts, putting things in his bag without scanning them properly, and a few weeks ago he was caught out at a supermarket. They went through all his bags and made him scan/pay for the things he'd skipped, then they let him go.

I've had a very strongly worded chat with him about this and he's promised to stop. He's had some financial issues recently, no excuse I know, but my wife and I have agreed to help him out a bit on the understanding that there's no more of this business.

I'm worried about how to move forward with this. Is it likely that his photo has been posted in the back rooms of all the shops he's stolen from? Are they likely to question him about things he's stolen in the past if he goes back to these shops? If he's with his mother she'll be devastated - I want to try and spare her that, even if it means shopping elsewhere for a while.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.
J

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
His promise is worthless.
Start by getting a GP consult for both drug testing (are his financial woes a result of a habit?)
and referral to a psychiatrist (for treatment).
He should also see a financial counsellor, but not until you know
What's Might Be Wrong With His Head.

JC314

7 January 2018
Appreciate the advice mate. There's no drugs, but some other personal issues - we're obviously working on all of that too (with professional help). Not really comfortable going into all the details here though.

Basically just looking for advice my original question - the legal ramifications or potential complications of going back to the westfield.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Appreciate the advice mate. There's no drugs, but some other personal issues - we're obviously working on all of that too (with professional help)
Suggestion - Take care not to expend effort (and money) on behaviour (psychologists)
if the real issue is medical (mental health, which requires a psychiatrist).
Not really comfortable going into all the details here though.
No problem.
Basically just looking for advice my original question - the legal ramifications or potential complications of going back to the Westfield.
First up, consider that the next time he goes in there, apart from being in an enabling environment,
if the trained apes know his face, then chances are, he will be confronted, and told something
to the effect of he's been "banned".
It sounds like he's not somebody who will handle that very well.
In an ideal world, somebody from the centre writes to him or serves him with some sort of layman notice that he's been "banned". However, many (most?) security operations are not that sophisticated.

If they had anything on him as a thief, especially as a frequent flyer, then they would have already acted, such as by calling the police.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL