WA Son Charged in USA - Can Case Be Heard in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kenneth

12 July 2014
My son is facing a court date in America for charges that have been blown out of context. Can I have the charges dealt with in WA instead of America . He is an Australian citizen and the legal guardian is in WA and no one from America will tell us nothing. What do we do?

Kenneth

12 July 2014
Alabama,
He is going to court for touching a girl( keep in mind he is only 15yo)

What is DFAT.?

Kenneth

12 July 2014
They are making it worse than what it is but. And they forced him to say he did it without a parent in the interveiw room.

Toqual

10 July 2014
DFAT is the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Toqual

10 July 2014
They are making it worse than what it is but. And they forced him to say he did it without a parent in the interveiw room.

As John is already attending the issue, I will allow him to continue although just to inform you, any individual who commits a crime in another country, is dealt with through that states law.

Toqual

10 July 2014
I understand the pain you must be going through dealing with such issue, internationally. Through contacting the DFAT, as John suggested, you could gain assistance in getting this resolved. Is your son currently arrested in the US?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
As John is already attending the issue, I will allow him to continue although just to inform you, any individual who commits a crime in another country, is dealt with through that states law.
I don't have exclusive right to replying to this question - The more the merrier! :D

@Kenneth
  1. Per the recent thread linked above, you should contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) at your earliest opportunity on behalf of your son.
  2. If you and/or your son has the means to pay for a criminal defence (or defense as it is spelt in US English) attorney in Alabama, you should attempt to retain one at your earliest opportunity.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Toqual

10 July 2014
"1. If you and/or your son has the means to pay for a criminal defence (or defense as it is spelt in US English) attorney in Alabama, you should attempt to retain one at your earliest opportunity." - @John R

@Kenneth I couldn't agree more with John's message. I strongly deter you of retaining an Australian based lawyer as the justice system differs between Australia and the US. As John said, definitely hire an Attorney for your case. As I am not familiar with any US defendant aid agencies e.g. Legal Aid (here in Australia) - I highly suggest you contact an Attorney and DFAT.