Someone Using My Name and Emailing As Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

stueod

20 April 2015
Recently I was informed that someone set up an email account using parts of my name and sent emails to staff in the Australian Government and signed the first few emails off in my name. Some of the other emails sent using the same email account have also been signed of as Anonymous.

Do I have a case although the email address would need to be tracked to who ever it is I guess?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Stueod,

Unfortunately, identity theft and spamming is always difficult to control and prevent. You can try and track down the person behind the emails but this might be quite difficult (especially if the other person is savvy with computers). You will need to track the IP addresses of the sender networks and link this to a location. You may find that they are using proxy servers and overseas accounts. In this case, it will be difficult to track them down. Your main issue is finding out the identity of the person. Once you do this, a case can be brought against them. But the difficult part is finding their identity.

Have you tried speaking with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman? Whilst it is unlikely they would be able to stop these emails for you or give you the IP address, they may be able to give you some ideas or point you in a better direction.