VIC Previous employer impersonating me online

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

WetRaccoon

14 October 2022
Hi everyone, I've recently found out that my previous employer has been using my personal details to post jobs online for the company on multiple websites.

I found out as someone applying for the position messaged me on LinkedIn asking for more details about the job, and they were kind enough to link me through to the job posting/profile. The profile showed my full name, my suburb of residence, and my (previous) job title - and was very clearly set up to look like I was still associated with the company (company name, logo etc.).

I still have access to my old work email account, and can see they are continuing to use this to communicate with various third parties. I had automatic replies set up on the account to let people know of my departure from the company, however they have turned this off multiple times (I have to keep putting it back on...).

The owner and business has a terrible reputation (hence why I left), so I'm worried that this could potentially harm my reputation in the industry as well.

Any advice on what I can do here would be much appreciated. I'm concerned that a simple email telling them to stop won't have much effect, but not sure if there is much more that I can do.

Thanks heaps!

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi everyone, I've recently found out that my previous employer has been using my personal details to post jobs online for the company on multiple websites.

I found out as someone applying for the position messaged me on LinkedIn asking for more details about the job, and they were kind enough to link me through to the job posting/profile. The profile showed my full name, my suburb of residence, and my (previous) job title - and was very clearly set up to look like I was still associated with the company (company name, logo etc.).

I still have access to my old work email account, and can see they are continuing to use this to communicate with various third parties. I had automatic replies set up on the account to let people know of my departure from the company, however they have turned this off multiple times (I have to keep putting it back on...).

The owner and business has a terrible reputation (hence why I left), so I'm worried that this could potentially harm my reputation in the industry as well.

Any advice on what I can do here would be much appreciated. I'm concerned that a simple email telling them to stop won't have much effect, but not sure if there is much more that I can do.

Thanks heaps!
Hi Wetraccoon, you could engage a lawyer to write them a cease and desist letter, threatening them with an application to a court if they don't cease the infringing conduct. Or you could just make the application, though I wouldn't recommend that, without sending them a letter first.