NSW Solicitor Engage Another Barrister from the Same Firm?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lennon

11 September 2014
Oh sorry, i did not cotton on that it was a custody case? (family law section der).

Personally, (personal opinion, not legal advice) i just have to take note that you are a man, then i need no further explanation why you lost the case.

I'm a man and had a 100% win at final hearing last week.

Reactions: SamanthaJay

AllForHer

23 July 2014
@Lennon Can you please share in another thread? I'm very interested to hear how things went for you.

Reactions: SamanthaJay

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I do allot of legal work in my job... i am not a legal expert at all, and yet i am constantly pointing things out to our lawyers....
I can't speak for the whole profession, but coming from a layman dilettante, that's a grossly overconfident and offensive thing to say.
Next time you are in hospital, I'm sure you will take more notice of the porter and the kiosk worker than of your doctor.

Reactions: Lennon

Clancy

6 April 2016
I can't speak for the whole profession, but coming from a layman dilettante, that's a grossly overconfident and offensive thing to say.
Next time you are in hospital, I'm sure you will take more notice of the porter and the kiosk worker than of your doctor.

You know nothing about my personal experiences with the lawyers we are using, so therefore it is your comment that is "grossly overconfident and offensive".

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I do allot of legal work in my job... i am not a legal expert at all, and yet i am constantly pointing things out to our lawyers.
Kindly clarify for me how it is that somebody who makes this claim:
"I do a lot of legal work in my job..."
and this claim
"...and yet I am constantly pointing things out to our lawyers."
then (in his own words), doesn't "cotton on" to the context of the original question?

I have said before that I look on my Family Law colleagues with a respect bordering on bewildered awe.
This is in no small part due to my admiration for their seemingly infinite patience
when dealing with... exceptionally difficult... clients.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Kindly clarify for me how it is that somebody who makes this claim:and this claim then (in his own words), doesn't "cotton on" to the context of the original question?

I have said before that I look on my Family Law colleagues with a respect bordering on bewildered awe.
This is in no small part due to my admiration for their seemingly infinite patience
when dealing with... exceptionally difficult... clients.

Well you lost me whatever it is your talking about, but i will clarify what my original point was....

The OP hasn't really communicated well with his council. People should not sit back and assume their lawyer knows every detail they need to know. lawyers have allot of other cases on their minds to think about, whereas you have only the one case in front of you. In my job, i have to be on the ball and constantly communicate with our lawyers and make sure they know everything they need to know, as very often it will be discovered there were important points they had overlooked.

I am not blaming our lawyers for anything, my point is about how important good and thorough communication is, not assuming your lawyers know, and as a result, we have never lost a case!