VIC Shoplifting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gigi26

9 July 2020
hi guy's today it has been the worst day for me for the rest of my life. Today i went to coles to buy a fews things but unfortunately i couldn't pay for what i want to buy. So i only paid what i can and the rest of the item is in my grocery bag. I didn't know there was a private investigator police in coles trying to find ppl who are stealing. Unfortunately i was one. :(
The police walked me to the back room and i was put in the room for investigation. They asked for my ID and asked some questions. Later on after the investigation. I had to sign a form. The officer let me go and said that if ever this ever happen again i will be arrested.

I want to know what action they will do to me after i sign a form. Will do i need to go court or put on jail for a certain months? Im so s**t scared and embarrass and i cannot go to jail. I'm scared for my son and my family.

Is any here can give me an explanation what actions they will do to do. I'm so scared right now.

18 July 2020
Wow you sound extremely concerned, I can’t believe nobody has 2minutes to give you peace of mind!

I’m not a lawyer but you were caught shoplifting I assume less than $100 worth, that’s why you weren’t even arrested.
HE LITTERALLY SAID “if this ever happen again i will be arrested.”
There’s your answer, it was just a warning.
You can sleep easy my friend.

Reactions: unique and Gigi26

Gigi26

9 July 2020
Thank you for answering my questions Phil!
Never again i will do it again 101% sure! Im so scared now going in to any coles store or anywhere else.
It only happened at the same day I decided to steal, but during that day it was a lesson learned.

Reactions: unique