NSW Sharing trade discount

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sydney Designer

4 September 2020
Hi there,
I'm an interior designer who has an agreement with a client that we split a furniture supplier's trade discount into equal parts. We're talking about a discount of around $2,600 which transfers into $1,300 savings for my clients and $1,300 income for me. The client pays the trade price directly to the supplier while I invoice my client $1,300. The deal is that I do all the 'legwork' for those $1,300 which I did. Spent many hours to collate the schedule and going back and forth because my clients changed their mind. Once everything was completed they terminated our general design service agreement and decided not to purchase from this supplier. What does this mean for me? Do I need to write those $1,300 off? Sure there must be a clause that I get at least reimbursed for the work I have done in anticipation of the fulfillment of the agreement? My general design service agreement includes a clause that any additional work I am doing outside the defined scope of work will be charged with $150/hour. Could this form the basis of a claim? I'd be interested to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance.