QLD Seperated Nz citizen

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jay123

13 March 2018
Hey my wife and I are going through a seperation at the moment and after making a budget, it seems unaffordable for her to live without government/centrelink support due to not being an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Iam a 3rd generation Australian, I have been Married for 7years. We have 4 children 6, 7, 8 and an almost 17 from her previous relationship. 3 of the kids were born in Nz and the youngest in Australia. We have been living back in Aus for almost 6 years.
Im wanting to have 50% care of my kids and she is saying she can't aford 50/50 and may even have to look at moving back to Nz. (I know i can legally stop that but i want her and my kids to have the best opportunity in life and not struggle).

We applied for seperation upder one roof but got knocked back as we still have joint bank accounts. We have also started mediation with relationships Australia. Are there any other options for citizenship or permanent resident appart from the spouse one? She worked full time till last week since we have been back. Or if we are still legally married but seperated is she still ellagable as a spouse? Or should just say we are still together till its sorted? She has depression and bad anxiety and I think im a trigger.