QLD Separation - Dealing with Children and Bedrooms?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RefGuy

21 September 2019
Hey everyone.

Quick question, please.

My wife and I are going through a separation. I work from home she does not work. We both look after our 3-year-old. Me more so, she spends most of her time in bed sleeping. I drive she does not. I make all His doctors appointments, take him to playgroups, etc, etc.

So, we both agree we he should have equal time with both us when she moves out. And we both thankfully agree that’s what’s best for him. No matter what we think of each other. We will be attending mediation.

The house we live in now and the one I will remain in, he has his own room, bed, toys etc. even though he usually heads into mine at night.

The house she will be moving into, it will be with other people, he will not have his own room or bed. Or space even for his toys.

This concerns me, but I don’t know if I have a leg to stand on. Should he have his own room, bed? He is 3 and very comfortable in the place we live now and that of he has ever known?

sammy01

27 September 2015
So your priority should be getting consent orders that relate to time with the child. See when she realises how much more money she can get by minimising the time the kids spends with you, I think you find her attitude will change.

Get that done first.

Other stuff like bedrooms etc... Look, at 3 yrs old does it matter if he shares a bedroom with mum? after all by your own admission he often finds himself into your bed... U'm don't mean to sound brutal, but can you see the hypocricy?

RefGuy

21 September 2019
So your priority should be getting consent orders that relate to time with the child. See when she realises how much more money she can get by minimising the time the kids spends with you, I think you find her attitude will change.

Get that done first.

Other stuff like bedrooms etc... Look, at 3 yrs old does it matter if he shares a bedroom with mum? after all by your own admission he often finds himself into your bed... U'm don't mean to sound brutal, but can you see the hypocricy?

Thank you very much. Mediation starts next week. Is it correct I can then get consent orders once that is complete?

Jackson8

21 September 2019
hey everyone.

Quick question please

My wife and I are going through a separation. I work from home she does not work. We both look after our 3 years old. Me more so, she spends most of her time in bed sleeping. I Druve she does not. I make all His doctors appointments, take him to play groups etcbetc.

So, we both agree we he should have equal time with both us when she moves out. And we both thankfully agree that’s what’s best for him. No matter what we think of each other. We will be attending mediation.

The house we live in now and the one I will remain in, he has his own room, bed, toys etc. even though he usually heads into mine at night.

The house she will be moving into, it will be with other people, he will not have his own room or bed. Or space even for his toys.

This concerns me, but I don’t know if I have a leg to stand on. Should he have his own room, bed. He is 3 and very comfortable in the place we live now and that of he has ever known ?
Hi wow, can I ask how many hours she sleeps a day? A 3-year-old needs constant watching which means she is meant to be up when the child is up.

RefGuy

21 September 2019
If she’s not asleep she’s in bed or on the couch in her phone. She prefers he sleeps with me, so he doesn’t wake her in the morning.

I work from home. I get up in the morning and take care of him. I look after him all day. She’s never once even taken him to the park. Every day I take him out at least twice.

I’m too scared to say anything about that in medication Incase she changes her mind and once him more than 50/50.

Jackson8

21 September 2019
If she’s not a sleep she’s in bed or on the couch in her phone. She prefers he sleeps with me, so he doesn’t Wake her in the morning.

I work from home. I get up in the morning and take care of him. I look after him all day. She’s never once even taken him to the park. Every day I take him out atleast twice.

I’m too scared to say anything about that in medication Incase she changes her mind and once him more than 50/50
I would bring that up in mediation it would give you a better chance of more custody if she is in bed and on the phone while you are doing everything, that makes her unfit. What if she does that when she moves and something happens to him. If she can't take him to a park then something is not right there.

sammy01

27 September 2015
My opinion is to forget mediation. Tell her if they agree then between yourselves you can make a rough mud map then either pay a solicitor to write it up and submit it to the courts or you can look around for a DIY job.

Mediation can lead to a parenting plan, but that is not enforceable and at some point, she'll realise how much family tax benefit and child support she can get by minimising your time and if she doesn't work that is gonna matter to her.

RefGuy

21 September 2019
My advice is to forget mediation. Tell her if they agree then between yourselves you can make a rough mud map then either pay a solicitor to write it up and submit it to the courts or you can look around for a DIY job.

Mediation can lead to a parenting plan, but that is not enforceable and at some point she'll realise how much family tax benefit and child support she can get by minimising your time and if she doesn't work that is gonna matter to her.

Hey Sammy

Thank you very much for your response. I saw a lawyer who said Even if we went to do a court order, they would probably refer us to a mediator first anyway?

sammy01

27 September 2015
BS - solicitors trying to make more money. If you agree to 50/50.

This one is worth reading:

What are Consent Orders: The basics you need to know – DIY Family Law Austraila

This one is worth doing... A .gov - so government website that shows you how to do a DIY... Now the only problem is if the asset division is to be included. By the sounds of things she is too lazy to argue, so get the DIY consent orders about the child and file that...

Then you can kick her out of the house.

RefGuy

21 September 2019
BS - solicitors trying to make more money. IF you agree to 50/50
This one is worth reading
What are Consent Orders: The basics you need to know – DIY Family Law Austraila
This one is worth doing... A .gov - so government website that shows you how to do a DIY... Now the only problem is if asset division is to be included. By the sounds of things she is too lazy to argue, so get the diy consent orders about the child and file that...
Then you can kick her outa the house.
Thank you very much. Yes, we have a lot of asset stuff we can’t agree on. But does that have anything to do with the consent orders? Or can we do that later on, another time after all the child stuff is done?