WA Legal Separation prior to Divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Evan Roy

23 August 2017
How do I get recognition of separation?

I live in the same house so I can be with my children. Separate bedrooms now for 12 years. Since December 30th 2016, I have spent all but 7 weeks of that time overseas travelling. The last stay being 90 days away. I have three children 12 years, 9 years, and 18 months old. Intimacy is only at most once a year with no sleep overs.

4 years ago on December 7th 2013. I asked if she was happy, she said yes. I asked if she would come back to my room. She said no she liked things the way they are. No ultimatums or anything like that. I told her I am not angry anymore but while I am still young enough I need to find a wife who wants to live and stay with me. I told her as things had got to a point and she wouldn't come back to my bed that we were done and I was leaving her. The children are still oblivious but think its odd that mummy and daddy have separate rooms. Its for them and financial reasons I am still here, well mostly.

Nothing is official we still have a joint account and live under one roof.

What do I need to do to start the divorce ball rolling? I don't want to end up like my brother. 8 years after they ended things they are still married. At least he can afford to have his own place. I have to live overseas to be able to afford it.

Help me.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
A joint bank account is bad news for you, as is having relations once a year.

Talk to a lawyer about what you need to do to get a divorce. Chances are you need to make changes and wait 12 months.

Reactions: Evan Roy