NSW Separation under same roof

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen Kol

7 August 2017
Thank you.
My husband says he wants a separation but says he want us to continue living under the same roof, in the same bedroom and share our bed. He says he still love me but not "in love".
He will still take care of me financially and materially and I will have too cook and clean for him as usual. I did question him regarded img sex and he said its up to me. In other words NOTHING changes except he will live freely, doing exactly what he wants without having to report to me and I am not allowed to ask him.
My question is - is this considered separation? We also do not tell or inform any friends or relatives of this arrangement including my daughter who lives with us. He doesn't want her to know he's asked for a separation. I have told him clearly that I do not agree to be separated. Please advise. Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
His proposed 'separation' is unlikely to be recognised as such by law. You have to work out if this is tolerable for yourself. If not, you set the rules.

sammy01

27 September 2015
not really a legal question, other than as Rod has answered....
My thoughts, you don't have to agree...
suggest marriage counselling, or working on the relationship - and if he does not want that then tell him you want to settle things up and move on.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Sounds to me like he wants all the benefits of being married without having to be monogamous.

It won't be considered separation under law, though.

King Neptune

9 January 2017
Non-legal response, but that's a good deal for him and a bad deal for you. It only takes one to separate, and it sounds like your husband has made up his mind whether you agree or not, unfortunately. Best focus on yourself; you can't control the other person.

I don't want to make presumptions about your circumstances, but just to warn you when a married partner says "I still love you, but I'm not in love with you" it's a classic red flag that there may be an affair occurring.

Last edited: