VIC School Extorting Money Through Compulsory Charity?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
14 September 2017
Hello! Inquiring as to whether or not this comes under legal extortion and is it possible to take to court / do anything about this?

I am a student in a private school and one and every few years or so, we have a music festival which all money made goes to poverty stricken in East Timor. Although it sounds nice, tickets cost $20 and they have said it's a donation to the charity, but if you don't come to the event (not donate to the charity), you will receive disciplinary action which is to the schools choosing (such as being forced to come to school on Saturdays and so forth).

I'm not taking them to court, but I would like to know whether or not this is extortion

Cheers.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Are you donating directly to the charity? If so, then it's a donation. If you're paying the school, and the school is donating, then you're not making the donation. They're charging you for a ticket.

Ask them if it's a registered charity and will you be provided with a receipt you can use for tax deduction. If the answer is no, then question why it's being called a charitable donation - but realise this may get you into trouble, because schools don't like to have themselves questioned.

Are you able to do anything about it? Not in any form which would make it worthwhile. We're talking about $20, which is apparently going to a 'good cause'. No authority is going to take the situation seriously.

14 September 2017
Thanks for that. I have heard it's a gateway to charity, but if your asking in real terms. The school are taking the money keeping it then forwarding to the impoverished. I noticed they don't like getting questioned, i'm at a pretty strict private.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.