NSW Reverse Parking Collision - Am I at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harry68

14 November 2017
I have recently had an incident whilst parking were I had driven part way into a parking spot. I then reversed back to straighten up I was completely across the lane and another car drove onto the wrong side of the road to get around me and I have reversed into his back door. I except some of the responsibility as I want not looking for cars coming up the wrong side of the road as I was looking for cars coming in the right direction.

The car insurance company is saying I am completely at fault, regardless of what their car was doing. I find it hard to believe that the other car coming down the wrong side of the road isn't at least partly to blame, but can someone point me in the right directions in finding the rules in the act as I can't find anything on reversing?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Were you in a parking lot, or out on the road?

Clancy

6 April 2016
People who go in and then back out again actually really annoy me in parking lots... i have nearly been hit a few times that way because you naturally think it is safe to pass by.

If ever i find i have to back out again to straighten up i realize it may be surprising to passing cars, so i always stop and look around first before reversing out. If there are any cars (in any direction) who may want to go past - i GIVE WAY to them.