NSW Car Park Collision - Help

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

eva13

5 October 2018
I was parked in a parking lot with a double lane access road. I reversed out of my parking spot and was driving forward in the left lane of the car park. There was a stationary car on my right side facing the same direction. The vehicle didn't have reverse lights on or an indicator. I proceeded to drive forward and when I was half way past the vehicle the driver proceeded to reverse hitting the side of my car and left passenger side of their car.

The insurance company initially confirmed I wasn't at fault however than overturned the decision. They are saying the rule applied is overtaking rule instead of parking rule. Is this correct? My understanding was that the reversing party needs to ensure the area is clear.

Thank you,

Eva

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
So you were passing on their left? You might be out of luck as the general rule is you overtake on the right, and it sounds like you could have been doing this from your description.

eva13

5 October 2018
So you were passing on their left? You might be out of luck as the general rule is you overtake on the right, and it sounds like you could have been doing this from your description.

Yes, I was on her left. It was in double row car park and there were parked cars on her right. The car park is one way.

Last edited: