VIC Car park accident who is at fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stefan

10 May 2017
Hi there,

Yesterday I was reversing outside of a restaurant car park, i was more than 80% out of the parking spot which meant that I was at the centre of a two way road. At this section of the road there is a kindergarten and two family restaurants where the accident happened. I was looking straight towards the direction where she came from and out of nowhere this car comes speeding and drives straight into the back of my car without any braking or sounding the horn or veering to miss me. I have 2 eye witnesses which both claim that she was at fault because I was already out of the parking spot before she was anywhere near the car park but the other person insists that I was at fault. I claim no responsibility due to already being out of the parking spot and I was reversing slowly making sure no one was coming and I was about to begin driving forward. Who is at fault ?
Thanks in advance

Jermy

30 March 2015
hi,
do you have insurance? if so, call the insurance company and ask them, they know all the rules and would let you know who is at fault. Easiest method to find out.

5 May 2018
I have a question, my car was parked and I had gone off to work I came back to a sticky note telling me my car had hit someone else's car because my car was 'over the line' I checked my car and my front bumper was inline with the designated carpark line maybe 10mm over. however given that my car was parked there before the other persons car was, am I at fault?