QLD Request Emails from a Business - Subpoena Required?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
4 May 2016
I recently became aware of an email between three companies. In the email, a party stated that he had a fantasy about capturing and torturing me. The author tells a second company that he has asked for assistance from a third company in locating me. Can I request this email and others? Is a subpoena required or is there another way to compel the release of the information?

Two companies are publicly traded, the other is a pty ltd. I want to lift the veil of incorporation if possible.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Your best bet is to contact a lawyer. If this is a real threat, you need to act on it, but if it was written just out of anger or they were pissed off (lots of people do it and not meaning to do it), it may not be worth the time. Then contact the police, this is something not to joke about. You will know from the email and the companies if it is serious or just hot talk.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Just report it to police and follow their advice.... This is a matter for police to deal with, and police to decide what action if any to take or what emails they want to subpoena.

Arche

20 March 2015
FYI a subpoena is to produce documents to a court. You can't subpoena something unless there are court proceedings underway.