QLD Removal of Ex-Partner's Belongings

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

aussiegirl

17 April 2022
My ex-partner's belongings have been left at my home for over 2 years. He isn't able to attend the property due to a DVO in place. I have tried many times for him to arrange collection, to no avail. I've even offered to pay for the removal of the items (there is probably a garage full), again, he is not forthcoming.

What are my options? Does the Disposal of Uncollected Goods Act 1967 apply, or is that only for businesses, as the first section in the Act states:

'.....disposal of goods accepted in the course of a business for inspection, custody, storage, repair or other treatment but not delivered and for purposes connected therein'.

I am at a loss as to what I can do with the items. Are there any other recourses of action, ie a civil case through the magistrates courts etc?

Thanks in advance.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Garage sale. You could notify him of your intention to sell what ever is worth selling and using the $ for removal and tipping fees of what ever does not sell. However, giving him the chance to organise a friend to come and collect would be a good idea. No response? Garage sale.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yup is that easy. You've got proof of offering him opportunities to get the stuff. You've told him that if it doesn't get sorted by a particular date then you'll dispose of the stuff. Cops won't charge you.

aussiegirl

17 April 2022
Yup is that easy. You've got proof of offering him opportunities to get the stuff. You've told him that if it doesn't get sorted by a particular date then you'll dispose of the stuff. Cops won't charge you.
Is there any redress through the courts he may have?

sammy01

27 September 2015
not really. Maybe through family law, but it would not be worth his while, not unless there is a porsche in that garage. Even then, you've given him opportunities to collect the stuff.
Look in his defence. He has an avo. It says don't talk to you, don't go near you. Well if he responds to a text message from you regarding the stuff, he is technically breaching the avo. Maybe he is worried about that.

What sort of stuff are we talking that he has left behind? ball park garage sale value?

aussiegirl

17 April 2022
He has no redress through the family courts especially as I dont have a porch in the garage lol And a third party is doing the liasing not me. And believe me, he does not have an ounce of worry in his body!! He does respond anyway, just in an abusive, vindictive manner.