Separation - Removing Ex Partner's Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hughes300

6 June 2014
Hello,

My girlfriend has been separated from her ex for quite sometime (separation). They lived together in her house. He is a hoarder, and has filled her garage, backyard full of road side junk and eBay items. She can no longer park in her garage or use very little of her backyard. He has been asked for the last three months to remove his property from her place. All he says is "I will!". We feel the time has come to seek advice and see what we can do legally to have his property removed? FYI: he had no legal rights to her home, they never bought the house together. Everything is in my girlfriend's name. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michael T

9 April 2014
Hi Hughes300.
Try sending him a written notice saying that you will be removing all unclaimed items and placing them on the lawn for donation on X date. That should get him moving. (Its her home, he doesn't have the right to leave his stuff there.)

Reactions: John R