SA Refusal of service to an 18 year old

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Matthew17

30 July 2017
There is a local video shop in my town that refuses to rent dvd's to anyone under the age of 21, refusing service to myself and many of my adult friends. I was under the impression at age 18, you assumed the vast majority of rights as everyone else. It strikes me as odd one is entrusted with deciding the future of the country at 18 but not with the right to be serviced everywhere. I was informed companies have the right to refuse service to anyone, but is it legal to systematically refuse service to an entire age demographic that are legally adults? This is really the only place you can get a variety of good DVD's in my town, any legal help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm not admitted in SA, so this is only going off a quick check of the state laws.

s85K of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (SA) makes it unlawful for a person who provides goods and certain services (which includes entertainment and recreational services) to refuse service to someone else on the grounds of age. The only relevant defence I can see is if there is factual evidence to support the discrimination being reasonable.

However, you might be hard pressed getting someone to do anything about it.