VIC Red Light Camera Fine - Challenge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cathy Chiang

21 July 2015
I have been booked with a red light camera fine for passing a Red light arrow by police car follow behind me, but I want to put this matter on court because I believed I only passed during Amber arrow light!

How much chance to win this case which I'm against a police officer? If the case loses in court, do I need to pay any extra cost for this matter?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you take the matter to court and lose you probably will be asked to pay extra costs.

Your word versus police generally = loss at court.

You need some good evidence to overcome a policeman's word. The court, very simplistically, takes the starting position that you have a vested interest to not tell the truth (ie want to avoid the fine/keep licence), while the policeman is an independent third party trying to uphold public safety.

With this mind, do you have any evidence other than your word that you are right and the policeman wrong? Any independent third party witnesses?

Your past driving record will be a factor if you go to court. Could aid you, could be against you. If you have an excellent record you stand a reasonable chance if tackled correctly. If you have a bad record, forget it, save your time and pay up.