Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Received Compromising Photos of Cousin on Facebook - Report to Police?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Athena, 5 February 2016.

  1. Athena

    Athena Member

    5 February 2016
    Likes Received:
    I received a message today on Facebook from someone that I didn't know. The message contained my cousin's name, so thinking it was from someone she knew her, I opened it. The message contained highly graphic images of my cousin and a male engaged in intimate acts.

    The sender's account was obviously fake and my cousin had no knowledge of them sending those photos. This person was not known to me so must have got my account off my cousin's facebook and may have sent the photographs to others listed her facebook account. I am highly offended and very upset about seeing these images. I can't even imagine how my cousin must feel. I don't know what to do. Surely this has to be an offence under criminal law.

    Should my cousin report it to the police or would they not be bothered with it? I really want to report it because I feel that I should never have had to have see the photographs (they were about as graphic as you can get), but if it's not going to be taken seriously then why bother.

    Any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Athena,

    Firstly it's a crime for anyone to take a picture of you doing a private act (such as sexual acts) if you don't know or don't agree.

    Second, sending indecent photographs to someone else may be classified as harassment and can also be considered stalking or a menacing, harassing, or offensive use of the internet or a mobile phone - which are criminal offences. In short its a crime to share a naked or sexual picture of you without your permission.

    It is also a crime to use a mobile phone or the internet in an offensive way or to harass somebody - its offensive or harassing if it makes a person feel disgusted, humiliated or threatened. The maximum penalty is 3 years in jail.

    I would definitely go to the police about it.

Share This Page