QLD Criminal Law - Selling Items on eBay Through Fake Facebook Account?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Quinton B

7 February 2016
Someone that I know is using a fake Facebook account to sell items. He uses random pictures of pretty girls of the internet. He makes a Facebook profile, and 1000's of guys add her. He then sells women's lingerie on eBay and advertises them using this Facebook account. The account doesn't have the name D.O.B etc., of the real person, just the images, so he isn't trying to impersonate her or steal her identity.

I'm worried that this is against Criminal Law and he is going to get into trouble. Do note, he does send the items, he isn't scamming anyone.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
He is defrauding his customers. This is a crime.

If caught, he can expect fines at a minimum, possibly gaol time depending on circumstances and priors. A crime for fraud also impacts on future employment prospects. Dishonesty offences like this make it hard to get work and credit/loans.

Doing things online means there is an easy-to-follow electronic trail pointing straight back to him. Open and shut case if the police do investigate.

Ponala

10 February 2015
How is the lingerie he is selling on ebay, related to the advertisement on Facebook....'Here buy my panties from my ebay account' or ' this ebay account sells womens undies', 1 is more deceptive than the other

If he is sending what he is selling then might not be criminal. Just using deceptive selling practices, Consumer Affairs more likely.

Police probably wouldn't even be bothered as people are getting items, and not ripped off.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
He is deceiving the guys on Facebook, then using Facebook to send them to his eBay account. Guys are thinking they are buying women's panties, most likely second-hand. This is deception. It doesn't matter people are getting items. They are NOT getting what they think they are. Morally wrong, and a crime.

Ponala

10 February 2015
If they think they are buying second-hand undies and they are, how are they being deceived...depends on the ebay advertisement, not Facebook. It's a bit like all those miracle cures and things that say they are scientifically proven etc., no-one gets done for criminal deception, they get done for false advertising through Consumer Affairs or the ACCC.

I wonder how you'd report it..."Hi Policeperson, I'd like to make a complaint about being ripped off, I thought I bought some used undies off the internet to sniff and wank over, and I thought they were from this sexy girl on Facebook, turns out they were from an ugly fat chick and now I can't get hard knowing that they were worn by her.'

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
This is one of the reasons why so few people are prosecuted for this behaviour - too embarrassed to report it.

re: Crime versus ACCC. There are probably 2 different offences being committed. You refer to one, me the other. Proving the civil case is much easier than the criminal.