Qld Police DVO Mental Health, Unsound Mind

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
4 November 2019
Vary DVO (QLD). Police took out a 5 year DVO, I need to vary the order, I have lodged an Application to do so. I am the aggrieved, my son is the defendant. My son was found to have Mental Health issues and at the time of incident and the charges, a Psychiatric Report found he was of unsound mind. I am his Power of Attorney and his Mental Health support person and I wish to continue doing so. But the problem is I can't contact him and he cannot contact me hence the need to vary the order so I can still help him. It appears the Police have dug their heels in, hence I need to argue against their strong stance. I kindly request vital advice. Thank you.

4 November 2019
Whilst I understand why Police took out a DVO to protect me the aggrieved it is still an overkill, it does not protect my family in full, so much repair needs to be done.
The issues are of mental health, in fact the system created the mental health problems in the first place (that's a long story on its own), a 5 year DVO does not allow for healing for my family. HREOC principle 9 of the UN Mental Health Principles, displays the importance of "the least restrictive alternative" the DVO does not allow this.