QLD QCAT - Claim Refund for Purchased Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nathan lemire

7 July 2017
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered. I bought a car at $28,500 QCAT limits to $25k. I know magistrates court is an option as well as federal circuit court, but much less protection for a consumer there.

My question is, can I demand the remaining monies after a tribunal decides on my case for a refund (if they award in my favour), but only for the $25k?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No. If you decrease your claim to get within any court/tribunal's jurisdiction, you're limited to that amount. Same as if you'd made the claim in a higher court but they only awarded you $25,000.

nathan lemire

7 July 2017
if the car is decided to be suffering a major failure under ACL, does that then mean the vehicle in question cannot be resold once supplied back to the dealer (only if it is found to be so at tribunal)?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If you're claiming compensation as a monetary figure (ie a liquidated claim), you'll probably be keeping the car. If you're looking at returning it, what the recipient does with it is up to them (and largely dependent on what's wrong with it).