NSW Family Court and Federal Circuit Court - Same Service Time Limits?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve1905

21 November 2014
Sydney
Hi all,

On 16/7/15 I had my ex served with papers regarding initiating application, application in a case and affidavits.
The hearing for the application in a case is the 18/8/15 and the initial hearing is 24/8/15. This is taking place in the Family Court and not the Federal Circuit.

My question is, do the same time limits on service apply to the family court as they do on the federal circuit court?
I can only find this and no information on Family Court service times:

FEDERAL CIRCUIT COURT RULES 2001 - RULE 6.19
Time for service of applications
Unless the Court orders otherwise, an application and any document filed with it may not be served:
(a) less than 3 days before the day fixed for the hearing of an application in a case; or
(b) less than 7 days before the day fixed for the hearing of any other application

Thanking you in advance.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I actually don't think there are time constraints for service in the Family Court, but under 7.04, it must be served "as soon as possible after the date of filing and within 12 months after that date". A response must be served no less than 7 days before a hearing date, but if the other party is not served within a reasonable time frame, the court can adjourn the matter to a later date to give the party time to consider the case and prepare a response.

Can anyone else clarify?

Steve1905

21 November 2014
Sydney
Thank you,

I let it go as long as possible and hopefully wont get an adjournment. This is just because I had to let her true colours show before she gets legal advice. I can expect a complete 180 in attitude towards the issue once she gets advice. She has 31 days so I'm hoping that's enough.